Click on “Download PDF” for the PDF version or on the title for the HTML version.
If you are not an ASABE member or if your employer has not arranged for access to the full-text, Click here for options.
Barriers and Motivators for Tractor ROPS Retrofitting in Iowa
Published by the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, St. Joseph, Michigan www.asabe.orgCitation: Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health. 25(1): 1-9. (doi: 10.13031/jash.13039) @2019
Authors: Charles V. Schwab, J. Gordon Arbuckle, H. Mark Hanna
Keywords: Agricultural fatalities, Farm safety, Farmer-attitudes, Retrofit, Rollover protective structures, Safety, Tractor overturns, Tractor safety.
Abstract. Iowa State University Extension and Outreach conducted an assessment of Iowa farm operators‘ perceptions of the barriers and motivators when considering retrofitting tractors with rollover protective structures (ROPS). A statewide sample of approximately 2,000 farm operators was surveyed in the 2017 Iowa Farm and Rural Life Poll. A series of questions was asked to evaluate the importance of potential barriers to decisions to not retrofit a tractor and potential motivators that could influence the decision to retrofit or purchase a tractor with ROPS. The survey received a 48% response rate (999 responses). Among the 76% of Iowa farm operators who reported at least one pre-1985 tractor, only 18.6% reported that all of those tractors had ROPS. The remaining 81.4% had at least one tractor that did not have ROPS. Iowa farm operators‘ perceptions of the barriers and motivators when considering retrofitting tractors with ROPS are shared. The results of Iowa farm operators‘ perceptions will be used as Iowa State University Extension and Outreach prepares to align efforts with the National Tractor Safety Coalition and participate in the National ROPS Rebate Program, with the goal of reducing tractor fatalities.(Download PDF) (Export to EndNotes)