Click on “Download PDF” for the PDF version or on the title for the HTML version.
If you are not an ASABE member or if your employer has not arranged for access to the full-text, Click here for options.
Put Your Title Here Using Capital and Lowercase Letters
Published by the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, St. Joseph, Michigan www.asabe.orgCitation: 2007 ASAE Annual Meeting 072292.(doi:10.13031/2013.23383)
Authors: Yvette E Christianson, Lorin Hatch, Bruce Cleland
Keywords: Minnehaha Creek, TMDL, Flow Duration Curve, Total Phosphorus, Total Suspended Solids, fecal coliform
Minnehaha Creek, identified as impaired for fish biota, is a thirty five kilometer waterway that is controlled from the Gray's Bay dam at Lake Minnetonka in Minnetonka, MN and flows to the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, MN. The flow discharge from Lake Minnetonka to the creek is regulated according to the lake levels of Lake Minnetonka and creek capacity. Since the flow from the lake to the creek is not continuous year round level, flow duration curves were used to help identify total suspended solids (TSS), total phosphorus (TP), and fecal coliform loading that exceeded a recommended target value. This data also showed as to which level of flow (high, moist, midrange, dry, and low flow) and at which site along the creek these conditions were in violation. The results from this study provided quantitative and statistical evidence that the landscape with the highest impervious surface farthest downstream contributed the greatest amounts of loading. When the geometric means were compared among three locations, the site located farthest downstream with the greatest percent of impervious landscape contained 80% of the highest geometric mean for fecal coliform and TP. The remaining 20% was found at the central location of Minnehaha Creek with a landscape of moderate imperviousness. Results from this study also concluded that the greatest amount of TSS, TP, and fecal coliform loading is contributed during the high flow and moist flow conditions in Minnehaha Creek for nearly all three locations examined for this study.(Download PDF) (Export to EndNotes)