Click on “Download PDF” for the PDF version or on the title for the HTML version.

If you are not an ASABE member or if your employer has not arranged for access to the full-text, Click here for options.

Nutrient and Solids Separation of Flushed Dairy Manure by Settling

Published by the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, St. Joseph, Michigan

Citation:  Paper number  024156,  2002 ASAE Annual Meeting . (doi: 10.13031/2013.10515) @2002
Authors:   James C. Converse, K.G. Karthikeyan
Keywords:   flushed dairy manure, nutrient and solids separation

Flushed dairy manure (influent) and effluent from a screw press were placed in separate 15 cm diameter settling columns with a working volume of 12 liters. Settling times ranged from 4 hrs to 49 days. The objective of the study was to determine the % of the nutrients and solids that could be concentrated into a small volume by settling. The results of the study are based on % of the nutrients or solids that were placed in the column. The ammonia and potassium were unaffected by settling and remained essentially at the same concentration throughout the column. Approximately 30% of the total nitrogen was concentrated in the bottom 25% of the volume. After 4 hours approximately 50% of the total phosphorus and solids were concentrated in the bottom 25% of the volume. After 49 days approximately 75% of the total phosphorus and 58% of solids were concentrated in the bottom 25%. In a separate study on evaluating the screw press, approximately 28% of the solids and 6% of the total P were removed from the influent stream. It appears that long term settling of flushed dairy manure will remove upwards of 75 80% of the phosphorus from the effluent stream and concentrate it in the bottom 25% of the volume. The N:P:K ratio is affected by settling with longer settling times having a greater effect on settling as a higher percentage of P settles out over time than does N and K

(Download PDF)    (Export to EndNotes)